Time Began in a Garden

"Now the Lord God planted a garden in the east, in Eden." Genesis 2:8

Friday, June 30, 2006

FAREWELL TO JUNE AND THE HOLLYHOCKS



It'a been a glorious June...and as we bid her farewell for another year and look forward to a hot, fun, star-spangled July, we once more honor the Hollyhocks with this poem found in Grandmother Holmes' "never, never throw away" book.

Hollyhocks

Old fashioned flowers! I love them all;

The morning-glories on the wall,

The pansies in their patch of shade,

The violets, stolen from a glade,

The bleeding hearts and columbine,

Have long been garden friends of mine;

But memory every summer flocks

Among a clump of hollyhocks.

*****************************************

The mother loved them years ago;

Beside the fence they used to grow,

And though the garden changed each year

And certain blooms would disappear

To give their places in the ground

To something new that mother found,

Some pretty bloom or rosebush rare...

The hollyhocks were always there.

*******************************************

It seems but yesterday to me

She led me down the yard to see

The first tall spires, with blooms aflame,

And taught me to pronounce their name,

And year by year I watched them grow,

The first flowers I had come to know,

And with the mother dear I'd yearn

To see the hollyhocks return.

**********************************************

The garden of my childhood days

With hollyhocks was kept ablaze;

In all my recollections they

In friendly columns nod and sway;

And when to-day their blooms I see,

Always the mother smiles at me;

The mind's bright chambers, life unlocks

Each summer with the hollyhocks.

Eagar A. Guest

To my loves:

There were Hollyhocks in Grandmother's garden

There were Hollyhocks in my Childhome garden

I hope when I am gone, someone will plant Hollyhocks

5 Comments:

At 12:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

deal!

Mark A

We buried my friend today...very moving ceremony

 
At 11:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yep! there's a place along the fence for some hollyhocks...
But, let's not plan that for a few decades.

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger Blessed said...

In the word of your brother Mark...."deal!"

I'll try to hang on that long with the assurance I have of a family that will see me through....and then plant hollyhocks. Golly gee, I love you all!

 
At 8:41 PM, Blogger rewired said...

I love Hollyhocks! I will plant some...now that I have time to dig in the dirt!

 
At 11:03 PM, Blogger Barefoot Leon said...

Tearfully I pass to you how grateful I am as I see the flowers of spring, summer, and fall ... and think of the knowledge you've granted me of their names and their nature. You are blessed, and yet your nickname could have appropriately been "Blessing"!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home