Time Began in a Garden

"Now the Lord God planted a garden in the east, in Eden." Genesis 2:8

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

CARBONDALE II

As a part of our trip to Carbondale, we attended a Piano and Oboe Recital presented by the Southern Illinois Music Festival. It was very enjoyable.
But what made this so very special is that it was presented at the United Methodist Church, which is the church my grandparents and my mother and her sister attended, and the church we always went to while in Carbondale.
Even more meaningful to me (and I think to Mike and Peggy too) is that it is the church where my Mom and Dad were married; and in fact it is where they met while Dad was attending school in Carbondale and living with his brother Fred's family.
This is a picture of the church taken on their wedding day, July 17, 1929






This is a
picture taken
Sunday.







Although it
looks very much
the same as
it did 80 years
ago; I wanted
you to see how
it has grown.
Grandmother,
Granddad and
Mom and Dad
would be so
pleased, as
am I.




"I will build my church, and the gates of hell will not overcome it." Jesus
Matthew 16:18

Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

At 8:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. That's very exciting. :)

Brad

 
At 8:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I smile and have a warm feeling inside EVERYTIME I see a church growing (the building physically growing) as it only indicates one thing! No matter where I am during my travels I have that feeling.

How cool that is is where GM got married and hosted the music festival while you were visiting.

#3

 

Post a Comment

<< Home