Time Began in a Garden

"Now the Lord God planted a garden in the east, in Eden." Genesis 2:8

Thursday, July 12, 2007

SHINING THROUGH

Last year, my lifetime friend, Carolyn, sent me this entry from The Upper Room .

I've been waiting for the sunflowers to bloom in order to share it with each of you.

It seems appropriate because she is coming to visit tomorrow. Can hardly wait!

"My teenage daughter and I sat in the garden one cool morning, weaving together garlic stalks to prepare the bulbs for storage.

Purple asters, tall sunflowers and mist surrounded us.

We worked in silence, enjoying the tasks and the beauty of the morning.

After a while, she stopped clipping, looked around, and said, 'I like sunflowers'.

'Why?' I asked.

'Because they're so loyal.

They keep their heads turned to the sun, waiting, even if it's foggy.'

We continued working, and I thought about my struggle to stay loyal...waiting for the unseen God.

I desire to be as vigilant as the patient, nodding sunflowers.

The mists will clear; I will again look upon God's brightness.

God is ever-present, but sometimes my worries, egotism, and busyness can fog up my life to the point that God's presence is hidden.

When I still my mind and focus with expectation, I find God in my everyday life, shining through the people and world around me."

Prayer: Dear God, thank you for constantly being present in this world. Help us to quiet ourselves and to find you in each of our daily actions and in the people around us. Amen.

Thought for the Day: Look for God and rejoice.

Written by Karen Kirkwood (Washington)

Posted by Picasa

1 Comments:

At 12:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please tell Carolyn hello from Billy and me. Happy Birthday in advance - I assume you'll be passing the blue bag. Have a wonderful weekend.
P.S. We start VBS next week - one of my favorite weeks of the year! Things are coming along so nicely. I marvel that God allows me to serve Him in such a fun way!
Love you dearly - Mary

 

Post a Comment

<< Home