Time Began in a Garden

"Now the Lord God planted a garden in the east, in Eden." Genesis 2:8

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

IRIS III

Dutch Iris
Though technically not an iris as they are a bulb rather than a rhizome, these beauties are more at home in the iris family than in the tulip/jonquil category.

These were one of mother's favorite flowers, and we had a bank of them in the back yard of my childhood home. She always thought they were as pretty as any orchid she had ever seen, which would have been the traditional purple "prom" orchid and the very special white "wedding" orchid (generally carried on a small white Bible for the wedding bouquet. ) She was never privileged to see the incredible display of orchids at The Garden.

I planted these in her honor and always think of her as I watch them open up each spring. http://www.touchofnature.com/fallcatalog/dutchiris.htm




Posted by Picasa

4 Comments:

At 3:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A wonderful reason to plant them, and a wonderful person to think of when they open!! :)

I wish I would of had the opportunity to take her to the orchid show at The Garden. Acutally, I think of True when I hear people walking though the show, naming the different species without reading the placards. I just imagine he would of known there names!

Just maybe, she is looking down on me as I enjoy myself at the show 3 or 4 times each year!

#3

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger Blessed said...

Just could be.
She would be so pleased that you enjoy The Garden so very much.

 
At 9:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooooops -their names not there names - I actually no (I mean know) the correct usage.

#3

 
At 5:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

#3 ... you're perfectly silly :)

#4

 

Post a Comment

<< Home