Time Began in a Garden

"Now the Lord God planted a garden in the east, in Eden." Genesis 2:8

Tuesday, January 01, 2008

2008

As the wonderful Christmas Season is ending, and a new year arrives, my life slows down to a pace that reflects the sleeping garden and the cold days and nights when I am just so content to stay in my little home and read, reflect, study and nap.







The only problem here is the lack of exciting things to share on my blog, and the absence of pictures to post.







But never you mind...I have been thinking on this since last fall; and I went to the basement, sought out and opened a wonderful box of papers. Some tattered, some torn. Many are browned and brittle with age; but they hold much to be shared on these cold winter mornings.







They are the papers that were found in the desk drawer of my Grandmother Holmes.







What a wonderful lady she was. Fun-loving, independent with a discerning heart that knew wisdom when she came across it, whether in verse, song or just the thougts of those who were kind enough to write things down for others to benefit from over the years.







She was my maternal grandmother. I don't know how far she went in school. Was the baby in a very large family, and from what I gathered over the years, was probably a bit spoiled. But she was loving and giving, faithful and kind. Appreciative of life with all it's joys and heartaches, she lived it to the fullest and left this life at the age of 93 with the calm assurance of a better place awaiting her.







She wanted always to keep her mind alert, and would copy poems, essays etc. and tuck them away in her desk.







My intention is to share some of these with you in the coming months. Some will need a bit of explanation, which I will try to add when necessary. But mostly I will simply share with you; and I hope they will add something to your life.







"I am the New Year, and I come to you pure and unstained,



Fresh from the hand of God.



Each day a precious pearl to you is given



That you must string upon the silver thread of Life.



Once strung, can never be unthreaded, but stays



An undying record of your faith and skill.



Each golden minute link you then must weld into the chain of hours



That is no stronger than its weakest link.



Into your hands is given all the wealth and power



To make your life just what you will.



I give to you, free and unstinted, twelve glorious months



Of soothing rain and sunshine golden:



The days for work and rest, the nights for peaceful slumber.



All that I have I give with love unspoken. All that I ask--you keep the faith unbroken!"







J.D. Templeton

2 Comments:

At 2:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful new year's gift! A NEW YEAR! Thank you for the reminder! I loved your words about your grandmother and the words of Templeton.
Love you,
P2

 
At 1:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to have you back on the blog! What a great description of Grandmother Holmes. I learned quite a lot about her in these few words. What I remember from my childhood and the stories I've heard is that she slept with a pistol under her pillow and was known to shoot it out the window if she heard a noise; and that as she kept driving into her eighties, the townsfolk of Cape Girardeau knew to get out of the way if they saw her coming. Quite a strong lady.

I truly look forward to seeing her papers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home