Time Began in a Garden

"Now the Lord God planted a garden in the east, in Eden." Genesis 2:8

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

CONFLICT AND CRITICISM

As we passed through the marvelous depiction of the life of Abarham Lincoln, one could
not escape the impact of the terrible division and hatred that the issue of slavery was having on this country in those awful years of seemingly unending conflict, death, and destruction. And one could also sense the toll that it was having on the President as he strove to fight for the preservation of the Union and the abolition of this horrible wrong. His critics were many and relentless.

This scene depicks Frederick Douglas and Sojourner Truth waiting for the opportunity to speak to the president.


"If I were to try to read, much less answer, all the attacks made on me, this shop might as well be closed for any other business. I do the very best I know how - the best I can; and I mean to keep doing so until the end. If the end brings me out all right, what's said against me won't amount to anything. If the end brings me out wrong, ten angels swearing I was right would make no difference"



"We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it." Abraham Lincoln

http://www.lkwdpl.org/wihohio/trut-soj.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_Douglass


Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

At 8:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for this interesting walk through Abe Lincoln's life! Your photo today reminds me of one of my favorite poems. The author is Sojourner Truth! Hopefully, this link will take you to her powerful words: http://www.crmvet.org/poetry/ftruth.htm
The title of the poems is "Ain't I a Woman"
P2

 
At 11:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mom...thx again for sharing

As the song says "I can only imagine" what it was like in those times

Mark A's quote for the day:

People who live with a clear conscience, usually have short memories

 

Post a Comment

<< Home